FIVE GRYFFINDOR HEAD CANONS
1. Their common room has not been redecorated in decades. Centuries, maybe. The Slytherins definitely win the award for redecorating the most frequently at once every two years, but even Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw redecorate every decade or so. The armchairs and four poster beds that Harry and company used are the same ones that the Marauders, McGonagall, and even Dumbledore were familiar with during their school years. Most wooden surfaces in the Gryffindor common room are covered with carvings of previous students’ initials. Harry spent a fair deal of his free time looking for his parents’ initials but never found them.
2. They are the only house with a protective spell to keep boys out of the girl’s dorms. Godric Gryffindor was a tiny bit sexist, but in a very chivalrous way. He was all about defending a woman’s honor (which probably got him in trouble with his badass lady contemporaries on occasion). Even though the spell is a little archaic, nobody has ever thought to remove it - most Gryffindors don’t even realize that such charms don’t exist in other common rooms.
3. Gryffindor students are the ones who are most frequently caught out of bed after-hours. It wasn’t just Harry and his friends that liked sneaking around (although they were certainly the best at it and got caught the least frequently). Gryffindor students are caught out of bed roughly ten times a month, as opposed to four Hufflepuffs (most usually found to be sneaking out to the kitchens), two Slytherins, and one Ravenclaw. The number of Gryffindor infractions took a significant dive twice; after the Marauders graduated and after Fred and George bailed on their seventh year.
4. Gryffindor has produced the most head boys and girls. Their natural leadership qualities mean that Gryffindors make excellent head boys and girls. Besides winning the count for the most head boys and girls overall, Gryffindor has also boasted the most students who were made head boy or girl despite not having been first made a prefect - a relatively rare occurance, and over half the instances recorded are Gryffindors.
5. Gryffindors have the most varied NEWT scores of any house. The other houses have subjects that they are stereotypically skilled at; Hufflepuffs tend to excel at herbology and history of magic, Ravenclaws at charms and transfiguration, and Slytherins at potions and DADA. This is not true of Gryffindors. Every graduating class of Gryffindors has a fair deal of “O” scores in every single subject.
More HP head canons:
HUFFLEPUFF HEAD CANONS
1. The Hufflepuff common room is by far the noisiest of the four houses. Even if they seem quiet or shy around the rest of their classmates, Hufflepuffs are at home with their friends and family, and in their common room they can abandon their social inhibitions. The doorways to the dormitories are even charmed to be soundproof because it’s not uncommon for groups of Hufflepuffs to stay up, having loud conversations and laughing, until the very early hours of the morning.
2. Hufflepuffs are big on sharing. They share everything. There’s a table in their common room that is full of communal snacks that the older students purchase from Hogsmeade or smuggle in from meals or the kitchens. Snacks will always be given in Hufflepuff House to those who ask.
3. They’re crafty. Not Slytherin Imma-trick-you’s crafty. They just like to make things. Like they share snacks, they also have a communal cache of crafting supplies. During those long hours they stay up talking and joking around with each other, they’ll be making anything from knitted scarfs to paper chains to banners and pennants for Quidditch games. They even make them for the other houses and hand them out before games. It’s a tradition to decorate the doors to dorm rooms every year.
4. Speaking of traditions, the Hufflepuff community thrives on them. The prefects give more or less the same speech every year; Nymphadora Tonks heard the same one that Hannah and Ernie did, she went to the same Every-Monday-Night-Craft-Nights that they did, she decorated her dorm door like they did, and she even knows several inside jokes that they do despite the fact that she graduated the year before they arrived. Age doesn’t matter to Hufflepuffs; they’re all family, always.
5. Specific to the events of the series, they had some ridiculous Cedric Diggory pride rallies during the Triwizard Tournament. They sometimes got really out of hand to the point where it made Cedric uncomfortable - like the “Potter Stinks” badges they produced once. Cedric asked them to stop many times, but the Hufflepuffs were so intensely proud of their champion that they couldn’t contain themselves. To say his death hit them hard would be the worst understatement; every single member of the house was personally devastated at the loss of their friend. Nearly every Hufflepuff who stayed to fight at the battle of Hogwarts will say that they laid down their lives because that’s what Cedric did for them. The evening of his death, every member of Hufflepuff house crowded into the common room to light a candle in memory of Cedric - a candle which remains magically lit to this day.
I’ll do the other houses in a bit!
More HP head canons:
R.I.P. The 2976 American people that lost their lives on 9/11 and R.I.P. the 48,644 Afghan and 1,690,903 Iraqi and 35000 Pakistani people that paid the ultimate price for a crime they did not commit
this is the only september 11th post I’m reblogging
Charts from OKCupid, showing how straight women and men rate each other based on ages. For women, the men they find most attractive are roughly their own age. For men, the women they find most attractive are roughly the same age - 20 to 23 - regardless of the age of the man. (538)
Good fucking Christ.
"Money won’t make you happy"
Yeah, financial stability is just horrible
ive heard a few places that up to $60,000 a year it makes you happier and above that no more improvement is seen [huff po]